- Give yourself plenty of space to work by clearing the area around the stairs and removing carpet or runners. Cover any surfaces that you don’t want painted in newspaper or dust sheets and secure with masking tape if needed..0
- Can you see any protruding nails or carpet tacks? If so, use a hammer to knock them about 2-3mm into the wood surface and cover them with a wood filler so you have a nice smooth surface to work on.
- If you’re painting over varnish, lightly sand all of the woodwork with a fine sandpaper to create a rough surface. This will help the new coat to stick. (If the existing paintwork is in poor condition, use paint stripper instead of paper to remove old paint.)
- Go over your stairs and banisters with a vacuum and a damp cloth to remove any dust and dirt, then wipe dry.
- Time for priming! A good primer will ensure better adhesion of paint to the surface and increases paint durability. Use a specialist wood primer and undercoat Dulux Speed Undercoat on all the bare wood surfaces and exposed filler.
- When your primer is completely dry, you’re ready to paint. Start at the top of the staircase and work your way down, making sure to work your brush into the grain of the wood. Wait 6-8 hours before applying a second coat.
- If you are using a different colour for the stairs and the banisters, paint each section separately and leave plenty of time for them to dry before moving on. Use masking tape to get a neat finish where the two colours meet.
- Once all the paintwork is dry you can reattach the runner – or leave your stairs bare for a clean, classic look that will really show off your paint job.
For contacting you with personalised commercial messages, we will create profiles and analyse your interactions with us. For this, we will look at your personal data such as:
your name, gender, date of birth, e-mail address, and physical address;
your shopping history, both online (if you link your purchases to your profile) and offline (when making an offline purchase) ; and
the links you click in our emails.
This way we learn about your interests and can ensure that we provide you with the information and promotions that are of most interest to you. We may also ask you for your opinion about our products and services.
If you don’t want to receive any more messages or if you want to opt-out of a particular form of communication with us (for example SMS, E-mail or regular mail), just, follow the steps in that particular communication.
For further information, please read our full Privacy Statement.